California man seeking green card arrested at immigration court

California man seeking green card arrested at immigration court
Source: Newsweek

A Guatemalan national who spent years seeking a green card was arrested by federal agents during a check-in at a downtown immigration courthouse, according to his long-term partner.

Jelver Efrain Medina Trujillo, 53, has lived in the United States for over 30 years and has no criminal record, said his partner, Xochilt Lopez. He was taken into custody in early February at an immigration courthouse in San Diego during a scheduled check-in.

"Jelver has never been arrested or committed a crime," Lopez, who is an American citizen, told Newsweek. "He's never been in contact with law enforcement. He has always obeyed the laws, and never has he received government help or been a burden to the government. Jelver has always been a very good person and a great father."

According to Lopez, a judge granted Medina Trujillo a green card in 2006, but a federal prosecutor appealed that decision. While awaiting a subsequent hearing, the original judge retired. The case was reassigned and ultimately closed in 2011 without Medina Trujillo receiving a green card.

A spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) told Newsweek that Medina Trujillo has been living in the country illegally for 13 years.

"In 2013, ICE used prosecutorial discretion to dismiss his case so he could adjust his legal status since he planned to marry a U.S. citizen. Over a decade later, he failed to ever get legal status to remain in the U.S.," the spokesperson said.

Lopez said she and Medina Trujillo were not legally married but had been together for more than 23 years and shared two children, ages 12 and 18. She described herself as his long-term partner and said money was one reason the couple had not wed.

Lopez said Medina Trujillo's immigration case had remained closed until late 2025, when he received notice to appear in court on January 5.

She said he was informed during that court visit that his case had been reopened and that he would need to return for another check-in. Lopez said Medina Trujillo attended the earlier check-in without incident and described him as complying with court appearances and pursuing his case in good faith before being arrested in February.

She said that during his last check-in, Medina Trujillo was asked to stand by a door before a Homeland Security Investigations agent returned and detained him without answering his questions about the reason. Lopez added that the arresting agent was not his assigned case officer and that another agent questioned the detention.

Medina Trujillo is now being held at the Otay Mesa Detention Center, according to the ICE detainee database. Lopez described the facility as cold, with "horrible" food and limited time to eat. She said many officers were "disrespectful and rude."

"I am feeling very devastated, stressed, and heartbroken to see our children miss and ask for their father," she said.

According to Lopez, the family is in the process of hiring the attorney who represented Medina Trujillo in 2006.

Medina Trujillo has a hearing scheduled before a judge for February 26 and will remain in ICE custody pending further proceedings, DHS said.