Colbert unloads on why CBS banned him from having Dem lawmaker on show

Colbert unloads on why CBS banned him from having Dem lawmaker on show
Source: Daily Mail Online

Stephen Colbert devoted several minutes of his Monday monologue to complaining about the The Federal Communications Commission's new guidance on the 'equal time rule' and how it forced his bosses at CBS to block a planned guest.

Colbert, 61, began the show with the revelation, before identifying the voided visitor as Texas Rep. James Talarico.

Talarico, a 36-year-old Democrat, is currently running to flip a Republican's seat in the Senate.

Colbert explained: '[Talarico] was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network's lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast.'

He went on to reveal showrunners asked him to 'not mention' any of the saga.

'And because my network clearly does not want us to talk about this... let's talk about this,' the host declared.

He proceeded to lay out the drama, explaining to the Ed Sullivan Theater audience the 'equal time rule' and how the 92-year-old guidance was stripped of exemptions that had been in place since the 1990s just last month.

The exemptions allowed hosts like Jay Leno to welcome any guest to their shows regardless of political affiliation.

The original rule, put in place by Congress and enforced by the The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), was meant to ensure broadcast stations provided equal air time to opposing political candidates in the 1930s.

Stephen Colbert embarked on a politicized rant Monday after the Federal Communications Commission's equal time rule upended a planned guest appearance.

In another act of defiance, Colbert welcomed the guest, 36-year-old Texas Democrat James Talarico to the show anyway after his rant, which took aim at CBS and the administration.

Shows like The View, The Tonight Show, and The Late Show with Stephen Colbert were nonetheless affected. The move was masterminded by The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chair Brendan Carr.

Colbert repeatedly took shots at Carr on Monday, referencing how the official said shows like Colbert's operate out of 'purely partisan political purposes' in the climate of today when announcing the change last month.

'I think you are motivated by partisan purposes yourself,' Colbert said in retort.
'Let's just call this what it is. Donald Trump's administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV because all Trump does is watch TV. Okay?
'He's like a toddler with too much screen time. He gets cranky and then drops a load in his diapers. So, it's no surprise,' Colbert continued, concluding with a curt 'FCC you!' - before taking more shots at his soon-to-be former bosses by welcoming Talarico on.

The interview, however, only aired on web. Colbert further explained that that network hadn't allowed him to advertise links or a QR code the audience, given the sitdown was essentially taboo.

'But I promise you if you go to our YouTube page, you'll find it,' the host bragged.

Sure enough, the interview was posted there as promised, with Colbert also welcoming outspoken liberal Jennifer Garner to the TV portion of the show.

Colbert, 61, singled out FCC Chair Brendan Carr during the pointed monologue.

During Talarico's appearance, the state rep accused the administration of censorship with the FCC's move. The rule was originally meant to provide equal air time to opposing political candidates in the 1930s.

During Talarico's appearance, the rising star in the Texas House of Representatives also accused the administration of censorship.

'I think that Donald Trump is worried that we're about to flip Texas, and, Stephen, this is the party that ran against cancel culture,' he said of the pulled TV appearance.
'They're trying to control what we watch, what we say, what we read.'

Colbert's show was cancelled for financial reasons, CBS said in July.

The show was losing $40million a year, according to a report from Puck.

Colbert was named as David Letterman's replacement in 2015.

Days before CBS announced his show was to be canceled, Colbert openly criticized Paramount, CBS's parent company, for its $16million settlement with the president earlier that year - a move tantamount to 'a big fat bribe,' according to the comic.

The show will air its last episode in May, the network confirmed. Colbert, a vocal critic of Trump, has yet to announce any future plans.