Former Prince Andrew arrested over Epstein ties: What to know

Former Prince Andrew arrested over Epstein ties: What to know
Source: The Hill

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who was recently stripped of his royal title due to his connections with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, was arrested on Thursday morning, sparking the latest public controversy for the royal family.

He was arrested at Sandringham House, a historical estate in the English countryside that belongs to the royal family. He was photographed leaving the 20,000-acre historical landmark in an unmarked car.

The revered family residence was once home to his brother, King Charles III, grandfather, George VI and great-grandfather, George V.

Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest follows months of controversy surrounding the former prince's ties to Epstein after the release of emails documenting consistent communication between the two.

Why was the former prince arrested?

He was arrested for suspicion of misconduct in public office. While police did not immediately link his arrest to any past position or title, Mountbatten-Windsor did serve as the United Kingdom's trade envoy between 2001-2011.

Reps. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) and Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) said an email released by the Department of Justice that was recently unredacted shows the former prince allegedly shared state information with Epstein.

Trade envoys are bound by the same confidentiality clauses that apply to government ministers. On Thursday, Thames Valley police refused to name Mountbatten-Windsor as the individual arrested, citing national guidance but did share that they are conducting a search at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk as a result of the arrest.

"Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence," Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement obtained by BBC.
"We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."

How has the royal family reacted?

The royal family was not forewarned about the Thursday arrest, according to a spokesman for King Charles, as reported by the New York Times.

"I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities," King Charles wrote in a statement signed "Charles R," NBC News reported.

It bucks the traditional course of communication in which royals issue statements formally from Buckingham Palace.

What have Epstein survivors said about the former prince's arrest?

The family of Virginia Roberts Giuffre issued a statement commending authorities for arresting the former prince. Giuffre said she was trafficked by Epstein and accused Mountbatten-Windsor of having sex with her in 2001. Former Prince Andrew's arrest was not made in connection to Giuffre's allegations. He has never been criminally charged for any alleged sex crimes.

Giuffre died by suicide last year after years of championing justice for sexual assault survivors.

"At last. Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty," Giuffre's family wrote in a Thursday statement to The Hill.
"On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK's Thames Valley Police for their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince," it continues.

The family added, "For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you."