Gus Lamont search focusing on a new area beyond farm where he vanished

Gus Lamont search focusing on a new area beyond farm where he vanished
Source: Daily Mail Online

A pivotal member of a tracking team that combed through remote scrubland for missing boy Gus Lamont has revealed for the first time that police are now acting on his intelligence as the search intensifies.

Jason O'Connell, from Mid North Wildlife Rescue South Australia, volunteered his services within hours of Gus vanishing from his family's farm, drawing on decades of his SES training and specialist tracking skills to assist Major Crimes detectives.

The veteran searcher said there are 'two locations off property' that had raised concerns with his team based on what they saw, heard or were told by family.

He did not go into specifics about what was of interest at the two sites or whether any items had been found, but said one, a conservation park, was now a focus for police based on his tip, and that his team could not go there until cops had 'done their work'.

Mr O'Connell and his partner Jen Balchin previously spent about 100 hours scouring the isolated property, travelling more than 1200km across rough terrain and often searching alone through the night.

Gus was last seen playing on a mound of dirt at his home at Oak Park Station, about 40 kilometres south of Yunta in SA's mid-north, about 5pm on September 27, and his family reported him missing that night.

Despite months of extensive searches involving special forces, cadaver dogs and drones sweeping vast stretches of surrounding scrubland, no trace of the little boy has been found.

This month police declared his disappearance a major crime investigation. This week a fresh search was carried out on an adjacent farm also owned by the family and the boy's grandparent Josie Murray was arrested for an unconnected weapons charge.

Mr O'Connell has detailed the gruelling effort he and partner Jen Balchin undertook, spending around 100 hours scouring the isolated property.

The experienced tracker claims that area was one of two identified with the help of his small but dedicated team and they had been preparing to search it themselves last week.

'We were due to go and search the conservation park last Thursday, with a group of private volunteers,' Mr O'Connell said in a lengthy statement.
'But after our initial talk with Major Crimes, they have decided to look at one place, so we will hold off till they do what they need too.
'We are only wanting to find Gus. This is not about trying to find him first, or getting in police way, and we will help whenever or however we can.'

Mr O'Connell said he had initially offered to assist investigators because of his extensive background in emergency services.

'After Gus went missing, I offered my services to the police due to my training,' he said. 'I have been in the SES in Victoria, Queensland, and South Australia, since before I was 16,' he said.
'I received a call back from police, asking when I could be out to the station and within 20 minutes, we were in the car heading out there.'
'Apart from a few hours on two nights, we were the only people searching at night, and unlike other searchers, police gave us run of the property, in that we could search wherever we felt necessary.'

'We searched out to past the property perimeter, and around and through every paddock on the property.'

He claims they uncovered 'several items of interest' and identified dams and water tanks police had not initially been told about, prompting divers to return to the property multiple times.

A second volunteer, Mark Aldridge, has echoed Mr O'Connell's determination to see Gus found, while also voicing frustration over their search of the conservation park being cancelled at the last minute.

'A private team was supposed to be in the area to investigate information provided by people in the know, my part of the team were packed and ready to leave at 6am,' he said.
'Information available since the first days of the search gets written off as nonsense, but when an independent team get together, all of a sudden access roads are blocked off by property owners, and police say they are going to helicopter in with dogs.'

Mr Aldrich hinted at a grim outcome for the pre-schooler and frayed relationships with authorities, but maintains anyone involved in the disappearance should be held accountable.

'I simply can't say much at the moment, because nothing I have to say is polite and we have never had an intention to get in the way,' he said.
'My concerns and those working with me are all about the child.'

Volunteer Mr Aldrich hinted at a grim outcome for the pre-schooler.

Volunteers claim roads were blocked leaving police no choice but to chopper in.

'Sadly when private investigators get together over the past decades to assist in cases where children are victims, far too often we are seen as a problem to those who ought to work with us.

'In the case of Gus, if police are now acting on our intel, I call that a win.'

'The whole story is horrible, if what we believe is all true. I pray he is found, and anyone linked to his disappearance are held to account.'

On Wednesday police revealed a second family member of missing boy Gus Lamont was no longer cooperating with authorities.

While Gus's parents continue to assist police, two relatives previously involved in the inquiry are no longer cooperating, South Australian Police Commissioner Grant Stevens confirmed.

'I think the head of Major Crime made that pretty clear at his recent press conference that two family members have withdrawn their cooperation, but we are still getting significant assistance from Gus's mum and dad,' he said.

Previously, police had said only one relative had withdrawn their support.

It was not clear whether Commissioner Stevens misspoke.

Detectives confirmed they will continue working on the case for the foreseeable future

Authorities conducted a two-day search this week at the remote station where Gus vanished in September (pictured in October)

Commissioner Stevens also said that detectives will continue working on the case 'for the foreseeable future' following a renewed search of neighbouring properties this week.

Asked whether arrests were likely soon, Commissioner Stevens said: 'As with any major crime investigation, we don't rest until we have a resolution.'

'Given the complexities, it is fair to assume we'll be working on Gus's disappearance for some time yet.'

He added that a wider search area would be cast for the missing boy.