Meet the brave Aussie capturing alleged paeodos in elaborate stings

Meet the brave Aussie capturing alleged paeodos in elaborate stings
Source: Daily Mail Online

A vigilante who captures alleged paedophiles on camera in elaborate sting operations is worrying child sex creeps across Australia.

Inspired by American TV icon Chris Hansen, New South Wales paedo hunter 'Faze Nighthawk' claimed to have taken two alleged child sex offenders off the streets of Melbourne in just 12 hours.

In one video posted to his Instagram page, Nighthawk stands back and watches as two Victoria Police officers arrest a man he caught on camera allegedly attempting to meet up with a 14-year-old child.

'This is Charlie over here. This is our second catch in Melbourne in 12 hours,' Nighthawk said as police slapped the cuffs on the man.
'He has a five-year-old and six-year-old child waiting for him at home. Yet he watches and he admitted to watching child pornography for five-year-old and six-year-old children.'

Nighthawk claimed his team caught the man with gigabytes of child exploitation materials.

'He tried meeting our 14-year-old decoy to record child pornography with her. Luckily, we stopped him.
'God knows what he was doing to his five-year-old and six-year-old children. It's a very heartbreaking situation, but we're here in Melbourne. Second catch in 12 hours.'

Faze Nighthawk tells alleged sex offenders he's not going to call the police, but then he does

Echoing the infamous NBC show To Catch a Predator, where Hansen confronted would-be child abusers in sting operations, self-styled 'paedo hunters' in Melbourne's suburbs are posing as underage teens online to ensnare perverts arranging illicit hook-ups.

The controversial tactic, once confined to the US, has exploded in popularity here amid growing public anger over child exploitation - and police are now stepping in to make arrests based on the evidence.

Just days ago, a chilling video surfaced showing a man in his 30s confronted in a grassy field by the beanie-wearing vigilante.

The footage captured the alleged predator admitting to explicit intentions with what he thought was a minor, pleading 'I'm so sorry' and 'I won't do it again' as the hunter grilled him on camera.

Moments later, police officers arrived at the scene placing the man under arrest for suspected child grooming and related offences.

The scene, filmed in daylight near a suburban park, ended with the suspect being led away in handcuffs as a police vehicle pulled up.

NSW Sexual Crimes Squad Acting Superintendent Rachel Fawcett told Channel 7's Chris Reason police were supportive of 'the notion' of citizens helping to catch child sex predators.

'We support the notion of catching predators online and working with the community to do that,' she said.

But she warned Faze Nighthawk's antics may not be admissible in court.

'It may not hold up at all,' she warned.

It is understood Nighthawk is putting himself at risk of both criminal and civil proceedings, including harassment, assault, stalking, illegal recording and defamation.

If Nighthawk is worried, he's not showing it.

In a recent video, he was seen doing a joint sting with US YouTube sensation Jidon Armani Adams, aka JiDion.

Nighthawk has quickly amassed hundreds of thousands of followers across his various YouTube, Instagram and TikTok pages.

Daily Mail attempted to contact the vigilante, but he did not respond in time for publication.

He told followers he planned to conduct stings across Oceania and as far away as the United Kingdom.

'So far I have 2 convictions (they took a guilty plea) and over 17 predators currently being charged and are still ongoing cases,' he stated.

A Victoria Police spokesperson told Daily Mail while officers did arrest Nighthawk's target, it was not over child sex offences.

'Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding an incident in Mornington on Sunday, 1 February,' she stated.
'Officers were called to reports a 48-year-old man was meeting a 14-year-old girl at a shopping centre on Dunns Road about 3.45pm. Police arrived and there was no teenage girl at the scene.
'The 48-year-old Mornington man was arrested and charged with unrelated drugs offences.
'Frankston Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team will investigate whether any other offences occurred.'

Victoria Police warned like-minded vigilantes to think twice before acting.

'We strongly discourage people from taking the law into their own hands,' the spokesperson said.
'Our police officers are well trained to deal with these situations and will carry out appropriate investigations. Instead, we urge anyone with information to contact Triple Zero (000) or local police.
'Alternatively, people can submit a confidential report with Crime Stoppers.'

Nighthawk claimed to be chatting to 24 predators in the hope of exposing them to the world, vowing to catch even more.

His methods involve decoy profiles on apps like Tinder or Kik, building conversations that turn explicit, then arranging meets in public spots for maximum drama and evidence.

His supporters, including parents' groups, argue Nighthawk is filling gaps left by under-resourced police.

Child protection advocates say the surge reflects a horrifying reality.

Child abuse reports in Victoria climbed 8.6 per cent to 151,587 in the year to June last year.

Of those, 18,823 were substantiated - a 13.2 per cent increase.

'These stings shine a light on monsters hiding in plain sight,' one expert told Daily Mail.
'But we need more official resources, not just YouTube heroes.'