The View host says Trump ought to THANK them for his election win

The View host says Trump ought to THANK them for his election win
Source: Daily Mail Online

The View's Ana Navarro believes Donald Trump has her and her cohosts to thank for his win over Kamala Harris.

Navarro, 54, made the claim during an appearance on CNN Newsnight Wednesday. She pointed the program's widely panned attempt to provide a platform to Harris in 2024.

Specifically, Navarro cited the viral moment Harris froze when asked what she would do differently than then-President Joe Biden.

'There is not a thing that comes to mind,' the vice president eventually said - a moment that lived in infamy.

Navarro reacted: 'It was like your most viewed political ad during the 2024 campaign. You should be thankful that, you know, we had her on.'

'I look at Trump and I'm like, dude, what's your problem with The View now?' she also

The View was hit with a probe from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) this week, after hosts welcomed Texas Rep. James Talarico to the show on February 2.

FCC chairman Brendan Carr claimed the appearance violated a revived guidance on its 'equal time rule' - one meant to ensure radio stations provided equal air time to opposing political candidates back in the 1920s and '30s.

Ana Navarro told fellow panelists on CNN that Donald Trump should be 'thankful' for The View, ABC's long-running opinion program

The high-stakes blunder unfolded during what was supposed to be a softball interview last October on the ABC talk show, just weeks before election day

'These rules and these laws are outdated and just don't conform to the modern media landscape,' Navarro said, ignoring the fact that Talarico is 36-year-old Democrat running to flip a Republican's seat in the Senate.

Navarro continued: 'The equal-time rule was founded in, what, 1927. There wasn't even TV networks then. It was reformed in 1934; it actually applied to radio.

'And in 1959, when there were three networks, it was reformed to exempt news programs.

'The View falls under the news division on ABC,' she maintained.

The show, meanwhile, is deeply rooted in opinion, with hosts reading from no scripts given free rein to ask questions.

Such an arrangement made Harris's high-stakes blunder in October 2024 even more surprising.

The original inquiry - from left-leaning Sunny Hostin - appeared to be the most basic of questions.

Hostin - an avid Harris supporter - frantically offered Harris a follow-up at the time.

She later addressed the moment during a later episode.

'I followed up because I was surprised at the answer. Look, I think it wasn't so much about the question, but it was really more about the answer,' Hostin said the next month.
'The reason I followed up was because that wasn't a gotcha question. That was a layup, really.'

The interview aired just weeks before the 2024 election, leading pollsters to say it contributed to Harris's loss.

The 'equal time rule', meanwhile, was stripped of exemptions that had been in place since the 1990s just last month.

The exemptions had allowed hosts like Jay Leno to welcome any guest to their shows regardless of political affiliation. The View aired its first episode in 1997 shortly after the exemptions were enacted.

Carr - the mastermind behind the move - told Fox News on Wednesday that the FCC 'started enforcement proceedings' against 'The View' as a way to 'hold broadcasters accountable'. The probe, as of writing, remains ongoing.