Trump 'is planning a 5,000-person military base in Gaza Strip as HQ

Trump 'is planning a 5,000-person military base in Gaza Strip as HQ
Source: Daily Mail Online

Donald Trump is reportedly planning to build a 5,000-person military base in the Gaza Strip.

The base will act as the headquarters for a future International Stabilization Force (ISF), a new multinational army, and will be set across more than 350 acres.

The ISF is part of the Board of Peace, the body chaired by Donald Trump and led by Jared Kushner tasked with overseeing the Gaza peace plan.

The military outpost, spread across an arid stretch of flatlands in southern Gaza, will be guarded by 26 trailer-mounted armoured watch towers, according to Board of Peace contracting records seen by the Guardian.

It will stretch 1,400 metres by 1,100 metres and have its entire perimeter covered by barbed wire.

The base will also include bunkers with an elaborate ventilation system where soldiers can shelter, a small arms range and a warehouse for military equipment for operations.

A group of international construction companies with experience in war zones are said to have already visited the area.

The military base contract document was issued by the Board of Peace and prepared with the aid of US officials.

Donald Trump is reportedly planning to build a 5,000-person military base in the Gaza Strip

The military outpost, spread across arid stretch of flatlands in southern Gaza, will be guarded by 26 trailer-mounted armoured watch towers

Trump is set to detail plans for the International Stabilization Force at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace next week

The document reportedly states 'the contractor shall conduct a geophysical survey of the site to identify any subterranean voids, tunnels, or large cavities per phase'.

It also includes a 'Human Remains Protocol' which would see all work stopped immediately if human remains or cultural artifacts are found.

Thousands of Palestinians are thought to be buried under rubble in the strip, Gaza's civil defense agency claims.

The ISF, made up of international troops, will support 'vetted Palestinian police forces' but it is unclear what its involvement would be if there is an outbreak of conflict.

Trump is set to detail plans for the ISF at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace next week.

He has previously claimed he will not put any US boots on the ground in Gaza, although Indonesia has reportedly offered to send up to 8,000 troops to oversee the peace process.

Several other countries will also participate in Trump's boots-on-the-ground mission.

Delegations from no fewer than 20 nations, including heads of state, are expected to attend the landmark Board of Peace meeting on February 19.

Trump is set to personally chair the session.

The board has already secured 'heavy-hitter' support from across the Middle East and beyond.

Regional powerhouses, including Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, have all taken their seats at the table. They are joined by Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim-majority nation.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would join the board during his visit to Washington.